Admissions to all programmes in the department are handled through the IISc’s online admissions process. Typically, the admission process starts in February/March each year. Students interested in applying should check the above link for the latest information.
PhD and MTech (Research)
Candidates possessing a minimum of the second class in one of the following degrees are eligible to apply:
- B. E./B. Tech. or equivalent degree in Electrical /Electronics Communication, Telecommunication, Instrumentation, Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science/Engineering, Electrical Engineering
- M. Sc. in Physics, Mathematics, Electronics, Statistics, Computer Science
- Master’s in Computer Applications.
In addition, candidates must qualify for the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) or one of the other applicable tests. Qualifying in these tests is not mandatory but desirable for candidates who possess a Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology or MSc (Engg) and applying for a PhD. Selected candidates are called for research interviews for both PhD and MTech (Research). See below, for more information on the interview process.
Candidates are required to have a minimum of the second class in a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology and a valid GATE score.
IISc allows candidates to apply to multiple departments with a single application (but separate applications for M.Tech and M.Tech (Research) programmes). Candidates have to provide their program preferences in the application.
EXTERNAL REGISTRATION PROGRAMMES (ERP)
ERP is offered for working professionals from
- R&D Organizations / Industries and
- Faculty members from Engineering Colleges/ Universities, recognized by the appropriate government agencies.
The candidates must be officially sponsored by their employing organization. The departments will decide whether they will have ERP candidates in their Ph D programmes.
Qualifications remain the same as for the regular candidates. Further, the candidate should have two years of full-time employment service in the present organization.
Desirable: Qualifying GATE.
Selection will be based on the candidate’s performance in the interview to be conducted at IISc.
The research interview within the ECE Department of the Indian Institute of Science will be held in June, for the purpose of selecting students for the two research programmes offered by the department, namely, the M.Tech (Research) and PhD programmes. For admission to both these programmes, the department is looking for applicants possessing a strong academic record.
Section I. For Applicants with a BE/B.Tech/Equivalent Degree
Candidates with a BE/BTech (or equivalent) degree can choose to apply for admission to either the MTech (Research) or PhD programmes. Such candidates will be called for an interview for admission to the research program only if they possess a valid GATE score that lies above a cut-off set by the ECE Department for the year. The cut-off varies from year to year depending on the number of applicants and the number of admission slots available. It may also be different for different GATE papers. In the case of applicants from the different reserved categories, the GATE cut-offs will be suitably lowered. As an example, for research admissions in 2013, the cut-off score on the year 2013 GATE paper was 650 for the general (GN) category of students.
Note that marks or grades of applicants with a BE/B.Tech/Equivalent degrees are not taken into account.
Section II. For Applicants with an ME/M.Tech/MS/M.Sc. (Engg.)/Equivalent Degree
Candidates with an ME/M.Tech/MS/M.Sc. (Engg.)/Equivalent degree can apply for admission to the PhD programme. The following indicators of academic performance will be used to select the candidates who will be called for the research interview:
- Marks/GPA* in ME/M.Tech/MS/M.Sc. (Engg.)/Equivalent degree
- Marks/GPA in BE/B.Tech/Equivalent degree,
- Marks/GPA in PUC/Class XII Board Examinations
- Marks/GPA in Class X Board Examinations
- Any other relevant information that is made available on the application form, such as:
- GATE rank or score, even if it is invalid,
- Award of national scholarships such as KVPY, INSPIRE, NTSE, etc.
- Awards and prizes in national-level competitions
- Score/rank in other national-level olympiads and entrance examinations, such as JEE, AIEEE, KVPY, etc.
- University from which the candidate obtained ME/M.Tech/MS/M.Sc. (Engg.)/Equivalent and BE/B.Tech/Equivalent degrees
- University or class rank
- Research publications in reputed journals/conferences
- Tangible evidence of high-quality R&D work carried out while working in the industry
*GPA = Grade Point Average.
Please click here for the interview information.
For the research programmes, immediately after the interviews, students have the option to change the priority order of the departments that they had shown in their application forms.